AVG strongly believes that investing in individual deals only makes sense in the context of owning a large, diversified venture portfolio. However, we respect that venture selection is educational, engaging, and a valuable skill for investors to develop. It’s also an opportunity to supplement your portfolio in sectors or stages where you feel underrepresented or where you want to lean in.
How Deals Are Chosen
All Syndications are deals sourced and sponsored by an actively managed AVG fund who has negotiated extra allocation. Each deal has cleared AVG process at the sponsoring fund level. The exact nature of deals will vary, but they will reflect the variety of the ~200 investments AVG makes every year.
Any investor who commits $100K with AVG earns a one-year Syndicate membership. (Founding Presidents and Founding Members enjoy a 5-year and 2-year membership respectively.) Memberships can be renewed with participation in any AVG fund; no minimum dollar amount required for a renewal except as specified by the fund.
- There is a bonus period of Syndication deals for those members who commit funding before their fund officially closes. As soon we receive your funding, you will enjoy access to Syndications, though your official 1-year membership period doesn’t start until the fund closes.
- Investors in an AVG actively managed fund will see Syndications sponsored by that fund.
How It Works
- You determine how frequently you want to see Syndication deals: 1x a quarter, 1x a month, as frequently as possible. Note that we can’t guarantee Syndication timing or type, or that there will be a Syndication available in a given period, or that you will see all opportunities.
- We’ll notify you about the Syndication opportunity and give you access to our portal with information about the deal (due diligence, terms, company presentation, Investment Committee call recording, etc.) and a reservation form.
- Typically you have about a week to decide if you want to participate.
- At the close of the offering, we will confirm your investment amount. If the deal is oversubscribed, you’ll generally receive a pro-rata allocation.
- Funding is usually due 1-2 weeks after the deal closes. We accept ACH and checks.
- We provide a bi-annual update on companies that were Syndicated, and any of your deals will also be listed in your AVG Investor Portal.
AVG Venture Clubs
Many investors enjoy interacting with others when evaluating deals. Responding to this trend, AVG recently launched AVG Venture Clubs to facilitate groups of friends, family, colleagues, classmates, and others to consider, debate, and score deals together. Of course, the final decision is yours, and Venture Club members are free to invest (or not) in any particular deal. But many find the interactions informative and the Club a great way to learn, engage, and network.
What else is different about the Syndication experience in Venture Clubs?
- Initial 1-year membership requires only a $50K investment in one of our funds, vs. $100K for investors outside a Club.
- The President of the Club determines how frequently deals are shown to members.
Glympse Bio has created superior technology to detect disease, offering a better alternative to biopsies. Glympse uses synthetic biological sensors that can be administered by needle, aerosol, or orally. These detectors travel through the body looking for specific disease, whose byproducts are then excreted through urine and analyzed. The Series B was backed by life sciences investors Section 32, Charles River Ventures, Polaris, and ARCH.
Tembo Health provides a telemedicine platform that connects nursing home residents with specialized care providers through an intuitive video chat platform. This enables patients to access convenient, high-value specialty medical care at a safe distance. The Seed-Plus SAFE round was led by Bloomberg Beta Founder and General Partner Karen Klein, an AVG top seed investor, who previously backed Tembo.
Wasabi provides open, reliable, and easy-to-use cloud storage. Wasabi’s cloud storage is six times faster, but only 1/5 the price of Amazon’s S3. It remains plug-in compatible with all applications that work with S3. Existing investor Forestay Capital took the lead of the Series B2, doubling the amount it originally planned to commit.