Take a Closer Look at the Diversification of the Emerging Markets Fund
June 18, 2021 | Ashley Brindamour
Our Emerging Markets Fund closes to new investors on June 30. Investor interest in the fund has steadily ramped since we launched in April, with those who have signed on saying they’re in for several reasons:
- Belief in the fund thesis that value creation is shifting to new markets
- The ability to diversify geographically, when their portfolio is over-allocated in deals from Silicon Valley, NYC, and Boston
- Potentially enjoying valuation discounts by investing in emerging markets
- Being able to co-invest with established VCs who know the region and sector
- Accessing promising deals they would have never heard on their own
- Ability to create a portfolio of ~20-30 diversified deals for a $25K minimum
Emerging Markets Fund Diversification
Investors also like the fact that they own a portfolio of deals diversified not only across geographies but sectors and stages. To date, the Emerging Markets Fund has invested in eight deals, diversified as shown below.
Current Deals in the Emerging Markets Fund Portfolio
The diversity of our portfolio is even more apparent in scanning the focus of each company in the fund:
Beam Dental (Ohio): Provider of digital dental benefits that uses AI for more efficient pricing of its premiums.
Knix (Canada): Maker of women’s seamless, chafe-free intimate apparel.
Kolors (Mexico): Smart bus line using data and technology to help bus operators increase their load factor and revenue.
Lang.ai (Spain): Developer of a no-code platform for support teams that automates time-consuming manual tasks like tagging, prioritizing, and routing.
Matchwell (North Carolina): Cloud-based online employment marketplace designed to match clinicians with healthcare facilities.
TripleBlind (Missouri): Enterprise-scale, cryptographically-enforced privacy for data and algorithms as a service (DaaS), allowing companies to collaborate around their most private & sensitive assets.